Locking branch ready for testing

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 20:02:25 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 4:39 PM, T Hall <tahall256 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sven,
>
> I've just compiled your branch and given it a quick test. These are my
> observations so far:
>
> > - tools can be changed even if the active layer is locked/invisible,
> > no longer grayed out (unless it's a shape layer)
> Seems to work fine.
> > - cursor/brush outline is still shown when the layer is
> > locked/invisible
> Works fine.
> > - selections can be edited even if the current layer is locked, unless
> > there is a locked local selection
> Selection tools work. However, there are a couple of functions
> (Deselect, Reselect and, Invert Selection), which aren't allowed on
> locked layers (Greyed-out in menu, shortcuts do nothing). Since these
> functions only edit selections, and don't affect the layer, I think
> they should be allowed when the selected layer is locked.

Fixed, now just depends on the selection state.

> > - if the user tries to paint on a locked layer, Krita will show a
> > small notification
> Works fine. However, no notification is shown if the user tried to edit
> the via a shortcut. e.g. pressing backspace to fill the layer with the
> foreground colour (the application behaves correctly, in that it
> doesn't allow the layer to be filled, it's only the notification
> that's missing). I think it would be nice if the notification appeared
> for such actions. (I haven't looked at how locking a layer
> disables/blocks shortcuts/actions like this, so don't know how
> difficult it would be to implement this)
>
> Additionally:
> Items from the "Layer" menu (Mirror Horizontally, Mirror
> Vertically, Shear Layer, Scale Layer, Rotate..., Convert Layer Type)
> are still available for use on locked layers. Most of these are
> destructive (not revertable except via undo), so definitely shouldn't be
> allowed on locked layers.

This is kind of a problem. In KDE it usual that if the action is disabled
menu entry and shortcut are disabled. So we could either have a
notification or disable the menu entry. Not sure what to do there.

> The transform tool also exhibits some odd behaviour (What's new :p). It
> allows you to make the transformation, as long as you don't apply it
> (Seems reasonable). However, when you try to apply it (and get the
> "Layer is locked" notification), it returns all the handles to their
> original position.
> 1. It appears you can't keep your transformation and either carry on
> transforming or unlock the layer then apply it (if you really meant to
> do the transformation, but forgot to unlock the layer first).
> 2. Actually, if (before attempting further transformation) you switch
> to another tool, then switch back to the transform tool, then your
> transformation reappears as it was before you tried to apply it
> (allowing you to carry on transforming, or unlock and apply).
>
> I believe correct behaviour should be:
> When you try to apply the transformation, handles remain in their
> transformed position, allowing you to continue working with the
> transformation (without having to switch to another tool and back).

Fixed, handles remain now.

> I haven't tested it exhaustively, but those I did test suggest that
> all of the above applies not only to locked layers, but also to
> invisible layers, and locked and invisible layers.
>
> One more minor issue: If I create a group layer containing other layers
> and lock the group layer, but not the layers inside it:
> 1. It won't let me edit the layers inside. This is correct behaviour.
> 2. The notification says "Layer is invisible", regardless of whether the
> group layer is locked, invisible or locked and invisible.

Fixed, now it shows a message "Group is not editable".

> Probably unrelated: I notice I can't make a selection when the
> group layer is selected, be it unlocked or locked. Following the logic
> of selection tools do not edit the selected layer, perhaps they should
> be allowed? This could also be related to allowing the transform tool
> to transform multiple layers at the same time by operating on a group
> layer (feature request detailed in bug 297927). Anyway, I don't think
> this is related to 'lockedness' or specific to your branch, so I guess
> it's offtopic in this email.

Fixed.

> So to summarise:
>  - Selection functions disallowed
>  - No notifications shown for shortcuts/menu actions
>  - Items from the Layer menu allowed to edit locked layers
>  - Transform tool oddities
>  - Incorrect notification for group layer locked
>
> Hope that helps.

It did :). Thanks a lot for the detailed testing.