Release Readiness

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 12:56:58 UTC 2012

On 1/11/12, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> Hi! Today we're releasing the _sixth_ beta... I forgot to push Giovanny's
> splash screen after committing it locally... But Boemann wants to have Yet
> Another Beta before Calligra can be released.
>
> For Krita, though, I think we've seen a big improvement over the Christmas
> holidays. We got rid of lcms1, even on Windows. Lukas fixed the scaling bug.
> Dmitry improved stability enormously. We are down to one critical bug, which
> I'm working on.
>
> However....
>

> === Unittests ===
>
> We had zero failures, then in November went back up to five. We still have
> five failures, with the Processing test being fixed and a new failure in the
> KisSelectionManagerTest. The rest have been broken since November.
>
> The following tests FAILED:
>          26 - krita-image-KisCloneLayerTest (Failed)
>          44 - krita-image-KisImageSignalRouterTest (Failed)
>          49 - krita-image-KisWalkersTest (Failed)
>          89 - krita-image-KisActionRecorderTest (Failed)
>         119 - krita-ui-KisSelectionManagerTest (Failed)
>

> === Bugs ===
>
> We have a total of 132 bugs now. Additionally, there are some calligra-wide
> bugs that are important for us as well, for instance Bug 284196 - calligra
> applications gets readonly if "parent"-calligra window is closed.
>
> One critical bug:
>
> 217292 	cri 	boud at valdyas.org 	ASSI 		Ability to paint transparency masks
>
> Sven changed the severity of the bugs that need to be fixed to release to
> "major". We still need to go through that list, though.
>
> Out of the 132 bugs, we have 10 major bugs and 18 crashes.
>
> It's a lot of bugs, but I actually think that on Linux, Krita can be said to
> be pretty stable right now.
>
> === Unfinished work ===
>
> Dmitry still needs to finish the second part of his work on bug 290708
> "crash on moving a layer". However, Dmitry is not available for hacking this
> month because of exams.
>
> I need to finish the grayscale mask work (bug 217292).
>
> === Disabling functionality for the release ===
>
> Done:
>
> * GHNS upload is disabled for whoever has too old a libattica (< 3.0)
> * painterly mixer is disabled (will I ever find time to fix that plugin?)
>
> Open issues:
>
> * Should we go through the filter bugs and disable filters with bugs?

Some filters have a broken preview. Main reason here is that they
can't worked tiled. We could turn off the preview for filter where it
happens. We also need to check if they are disabled for filter mask
and layer.

Then there are some other fitlters that are completely broken like
Sobel or Bumpmap. If these can't be fixed in time we could turn them
off.

Another big problem are color filter in 16 and 32 bit float
colorspace. These don't work and I don't know if there is a chance to
fix them im time.

> * OpenGTL/OpenShiva: we have quite a few bug reports here. Is the current
> limited functionality worth exposing more and more people to crashes? Should
> we disable this for now? I haven't been able to get this functionality to
> work on OpenSUSE 12.1 because that comes with llvm 3.0.

Yeah, that's a big problem. There is an increasing number of bug
reports by people that are not even using this feature. I guess
currently only Cyrille is able to fix it.

There are two possiblities:
-either turn it off for the release (which would be bad, since it's
such a cool technology)
-we disable it and add a setting for people that know that they
working opengtl can turn on (like with opengl)

> * the filter op is subject of one major bug right now. Is it realistic to
> fix this bug, or should the op be disabled from the release?

It's mostly working, the only problem that is looks like it's working
with buildup. I have no idea what the problem is yet, but it might be
fixable before the release.