Release Readiness

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Jan 11 10:24:51 UTC 2012

Hi! Today we're releasing the _sixth_ beta... I forgot to push Giovanny's splash screen after committing it locally... But Boemann wants to have Yet Another Beta before Calligra can be released.

For Krita, though, I think we've seen a big improvement over the Christmas holidays. We got rid of lcms1, even on Windows. Lukas fixed the scaling bug. Dmitry improved stability enormously. We are down to one critical bug, which I'm working on.

However....

=== Unittests ===

We had zero failures, then in November went back up to five. We still have five failures, with the Processing test being fixed and a new failure in the KisSelectionManagerTest. The rest have been broken since November.

The following tests FAILED:
         26 - krita-image-KisCloneLayerTest (Failed)
         44 - krita-image-KisImageSignalRouterTest (Failed)
         49 - krita-image-KisWalkersTest (Failed)
         89 - krita-image-KisActionRecorderTest (Failed)
        119 - krita-ui-KisSelectionManagerTest (Failed)

=== Bugs ===

We have a total of 132 bugs now. Additionally, there are some calligra-wide bugs that are important for us as well, for instance Bug 284196 - calligra applications gets readonly if "parent"-calligra window is closed.

One critical bug:

217292 	cri 	boud at valdyas.org 	ASSI 		Ability to paint transparency masks

Sven changed the severity of the bugs that need to be fixed to release to "major". We still need to go through that list, though.

Out of the 132 bugs, we have 10 major bugs and 18 crashes.

It's a lot of bugs, but I actually think that on Linux, Krita can be said to be pretty stable right now.

=== Unfinished work ===

Dmitry still needs to finish the second part of his work on bug 290708 "crash on moving a layer". However, Dmitry is not available for hacking this month because of exams.

I need to finish the grayscale mask work (bug 217292).

=== Disabling functionality for the release ===

Done:

* GHNS upload is disabled for whoever has too old a libattica (< 3.0)
* painterly mixer is disabled (will I ever find time to fix that plugin?)

Open issues:

* Should we go through the filter bugs and disable filters with bugs?
* OpenGTL/OpenShiva: we have quite a few bug reports here. Is the current limited functionality worth exposing more and more people to crashes? Should we disable this for now? I haven't been able to get this functionality to work on OpenSUSE 12.1 because that comes with llvm 3.0.
* the filter op is subject of one major bug right now. Is it realistic to fix this bug, or should the op be disabled from the release?

=== Release data ===

Boemann is pushing to extend the release date more and more. I think that we can be ready for 2.4.0 by the end of the month -- if we fix the last critical bug, the unittests and disable broken functionality.