UI idea: Turn the status bar into a docker (or several dockers)

Arjen Hiemstra djfreestyler at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 08:18:26 UTC 2012

On Friday 31 August 2012 09:32:04 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Thursday 30 August 2012 Aug, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
>
> > I'm starting to think that a general "layout configuration mode" switch
like in
> > Amarok may be useful for Calligra in general (however it should be less
hidden
> > then in Amarok, I guess). I don't think users want to move dockers so
often that
> > clicking a button to switch between the modes before and afterward would
be too
> > much of a burden. In the layout configuration mode, any docker could be
dragged
> > from any point (not just the title bars). In the normal mode, no docker
could be
> > dragged anymore.
> > Do you guys happen to know how often users rearrange their dockers? If
they
> > don't do it all the time, a mode switch would probably be useful, since it
> > increases consistency and prevents accidental moving.
>

> (There's one occasion where I change the layout of the dockers about a bit,
and that's the tool option docker which sometimes needs to be higher and
sometimes can be less high.)

Presumably that only changes size, which would still be possible since it is
impossible to lock sizes because QDockLayout or whatever the class was called
is a private class and in addition does not provide that option.

In regards to hiding titlebars: One thing to consider is that several docks
use the titlebar also as the title for the dock, which means that hiding the
titlebar would mean you lose information in the GUI. So hiding titlebars
should probably be done per-docker.