UI idea: Turn the status bar into a docker (or several dockers)

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Aug 31 07:32:04 UTC 2012

On Thursday 30 August 2012 Aug, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:

> I'm starting to think that a general "layout configuration mode" switch like in
> Amarok may be useful for Calligra in general (however it should be less hidden
> then in Amarok, I guess). I don't think users want to move dockers so often that
> clicking a button to switch between the modes before and afterward would be too
> much of a burden. In the layout configuration mode, any docker could be dragged
> from any point (not just the title bars). In the normal mode, no docker could be
> dragged anymore.
> Do you guys happen to know how often users rearrange their dockers? If they
> don't do it all the time, a mode switch would probably be useful, since it
> increases consistency and prevents accidental moving.

I think it would happen more in Krita than in other applications, because we have a number of specialized dockers. Though looking at the available video's doesn't really substantiate that hunch.

I've cc'ed the kimageshop mailing list, so our core user group can give their opinion: how often do you move dockers about?

(There's one occasion where I change the layout of the dockers about a bit, and that's the tool option docker which sometimes needs to be higher and sometimes can be less high.)