Hello everyone!

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Apr 22 07:33:09 UTC 2012

On Sunday 22 April 2012 Apr, Jose Navas wrote:
> Hi,
> My name is Roberto Navas and I'm new to Krita.

Welcome!

> I discovered Krita by the good comments of David Revoy, but until recently that you implemented the Krita-only installer for Windows, I have the opportunity to install it in my PC! and I was able to see by my own eyes what it can do. After this, many Wow moments followed when I tried the mirror painting, the paint with dynamic movements, etc. :D
>
> About me, I'm a aspiring computer graphics artist, that likes open source programs. I'm experienced with GIMP, Inkscape, a little bit of MyPaint and a little of Blender. I also know the basics of programming with C and C++, compiling, building, and things like that. My OS of preference is Windows 7, but I also have tried Fedora and Ubuntu.
>
> Finally, I would like to know if I can help in something to make Krita for Windows better :) so if anybody can guide me a little bit in setting the development environment, that would be great.

Sure. Getting a working development setup on windows is a little bit tricky. This is a fairly detailed guide:

http://community.kde.org/Calligra/Building_Calligra_on_Windows

Useful irc channels are #krita and #kde-windows on irc.freenode.net.

The best ide on Windows to work on Krita is Qt Creator, which comes with the full Qt sdk download. You could try to work with Visual Studio, but you'll miss some Qt-specific conveniences.

We've got a number of windows-only bugs already reported against krita on bugs.kde.org -- and then, there are things like better integration with the Win7 gui, D&D on the desktop icon, improvements to the installer (the installer is not in kde git repo because it uses Wix which has a weird license, it's at https://gitorious.org/calligra-installer-for-windows/c2winstaller )

> Best regards from El Salvador, Central America

Most of us are in western europe, so there's a bit of a timezone difference, but Pentalis is in Chile and he's also trying to setup a windows build environment.