Features changelog for Calligra 2.4 Beta

Silvio Heinrich plassy at web.de
Mon Sep 5 14:03:32 UTC 2011

Am 05.09.2011 11:18, schrieb Boudewijn Rempt:

> Good point... What of all the cool stuff that makes Krita 2.4 better than 2.3 is the coolest thing? I think that, comparing a running 2.3 and 2.4, the brush preset editor/preset docker is maybe the most important for the users. Any other suggestions?

In between 2.3 and 2.4 was a lot of stuff done, so I think we should
make a list and then decide

Sven:
- The mypaint brush engine is a pretty huge feature since you can now
use a lot of mypaint brushes.
- I don't know but could it be that he fixed the "auto contrast" filter?
I remember that I first used krita in it's 2.2 days and I liked the auto
contrast filter a lot but after installing 2.3 the filter didn't work
anymore (freezes krita) but at some time I saw a few commits from Sven
doing something with the filter... did he fix it?
- I think he also did a lot of GUI stuff that I can't remember anymore

Lukas:
- he improved the sketch brush and the curve brush a lot
- ... don't remember all

The GSoC stuff:
- the tagging stuff from Srikanth is of course a huge improvement
- don't know what else will be shipped with krita 2.4 (working psd
import would be great too)

and my stuff:
- Fixed and improved the smudge brush (color smudge brush)
- Fixed and improved the blending modes (I remember in 2.3 there were a
few modes that didn't work right. Before I started to make the whole
blending mode stuff I only had the intention to fix the burn mode)
- It is now possible to assign a complete preset to the eraser of the
digital pen (before that just the blending mode was changed to "erase")
- Improved indirect painting (no more "self collision" of the dab's or
no "brain"-strokes anymore)
- introduced the opacity/flow behavior known from photoshop (and as far
as I know there shouldn't be a lot of programs out there that can
compete with the opacity/flow behavior of photoshop)
- created a color selector that is based on the Munsell color system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munsell_color_system - this color selector
should be especially useful for people with some kind of artistic
education. I'm pretty sure this stuff is told on art schools (but don't
nail me on it... I never visited one myself :P) - but the color selector
is just based on the Munsell system. It's not 1:1 the same.
- Image docker for reference images

I think there was a lot more done so everyone who've done changes
(features) to krita should make a short list since the one who made the
change should remember it the best :D.