Proposal for new modifiers/shortcuts system

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 04:57:02 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Dmitry Kazakov <dimula73 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> As we discussed at the last Krita sprint, Krita needs some common system to
> manage keyboard shortcuts and modifiers. The problem is, different keyboard
> keys should switch tools temporarily and restore the tool when the key is
> released. E.g. we need canvas panning, rotation, color picking, brush
> adjustments.
>
> I was thinking about the design of this system. And i think it is better to
> do it Calligra-wide. That's why I've published its design proposal to
> Calligra wiki:
>
> http://community.kde.org/Calligra/Libs/Interactional_Tools
>
> Theoretically, all the other tools may be ported to it in the future, but
> this is not mandatory as there are wrappers for old tools left.
>
> So i would really like to hear your opinion about this system. Especially,
> about naming of the classes =)

This would be a major change and basically turns the whole tool system
upside down. I would prefer the changes to be much less invasive and I think
that is possible.

I think the two level with the tool at global level and strategies at local
level should stay. Tools need to have control about the strategy that is
activate e.g. look at the default tool, the next strategy depends on the
content and state of the tool. That's why it's not possible to move that to
a higher level as that manager can only decide based on shortcuts and
gestures.

One global manager should be enough for that. Additionally tools could block
global switches while working.