Branch krita-ui_improvements-silvioheinrich

David REVOY davidrevoy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 06:50:41 CEST 2011

>> Regarding the logic confusion: the opacity option in the brush editor
>> controls the mask opacity. That is different opacity then the one in
>> the tool bar.
>> The global opacity (in the toolbar)  is used to composite the final
>> dab with canvas.
>> So there is difference. Now there is slider in the option that
>> controls both..not sure
>> if that is good idea.
> It's of course logical for us, because we know how everything works
> internally.
> But just try to think like a user who doesn't know what a brush mask is,
> doesn't care about
> the internal workings of krita and just want to paint.
> The user sees an opacity slider int the toolbar and thinks when he will
> set it to 30% the brush stroke will
> be 30% opaque (ok at least I would expect this :D).
> But the previous situation was that this 30% where actually 30% of the
> opacity set in the preset editor.
> So, when the opacity in the preset editor is set to 70% the overall
> opacity would be 30% of 70%.
> I don't really see any benefit in this.
> I mean I didn't notice this, too (because I know the internals as well).
> I just noticed as I read one of Davids mails and it seemed to me that he
> was a bit confused
> about the two different opacity values.

Yes I was confused by Krita naming and options but reading this
discution, I can understand more where is the problem now  (I guess )
2 big topic are confusing for my user experience with Krita :

[1] the 2 opacity sliders mess :
-  The opacity in the preset editor seams to be in fact a bad named
*flow* parameters ; other software use this label name for 'opacity per
dab' or 'opacity per brushmask' .
-  The global opacity slider seams to be a real *opacity* parameters ;
used for global compositing of the end result stroke.
ex :  ( http://david.revoy.free.fr/forums/krita/opacity-and-flow.jpg ,
This 2 parameters , (advanced)  Artist understand it, and it's useful.  )

[2] the 2 'painting modes' mess
In Krita actually there is "2 modes" that wan be a bit obscure .
- In 'Build up' , the 2 opacity sliders  behave for one as a "flow" ,
and other (global one ) as "opacity". Fine.
    "Build up" looks like what I know from Gimp and Photoshop. The
behavior is predictable.
- In 'Wash' , the 2 opacity sliders are just an indentation of the same
effect setting ; and there is a weird effect only Krita has ;
a weird alpha self collision with the previous alpha of the previous dab
: (
http://david.revoy.free.fr/forums/krita/krita-opacity_dab-self-collision.jpg
)
     Wash mode was useful for me when I couldn't save the 'global
opacity' slider of a brush preset ; at this time, this 2 painting modes
acted as a switch between 'per dab opacity' and ' global opacity'. But
now I can save the 'global opacity' in build up ; wash mode became obsolet.

[X] So, Solution proposed :
1) Name the "opacity in the preset editor" category 'Flow'
2) Include the "global opacity" as a new categorie in the preset editor,
acting as "opacity"
3) This will result of a remove of 'Wash' mode to keep only "Build up" ;
and so removing the choice and option.
4) add 2 sliders on the top toolbar option : "opacity" and "flow" sync
with the preset editor as in Gimp and Photoshop  (
http://david.revoy.free.fr/forums/krita/opacity-and-flow_othersoft.jpg )