Krita 2.4 on Windows: pros and cons

Bugsbane bugsbane at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 07:37:58 CEST 2011

>  Actually I would like to see a 2.0 user manual or tutorial as a priority
> objective. You feed your family first. Windows users like the rest of us
> will hunger for a manual.

I'd like to see a manual, too, however... I seriously wonder what percentage
of artists are actually going to read one. When I learned Maya, arguably one
of the most complex pieces of art software around, there was a stack of
about 16 inch thick manuals in back of the classroom, day in and out. They
were professionally produced, printed in full colour and had many
screenshots. Not one person looked at them after the first couple of days.
Everyone ended up learning by talking to each other and looking up videos
online. Often people would look up a short tutorial on one specific
technique (eg box modelling, uv unwrapping), but these were never from
Autodesk. The most up to date stuff was always posted by users.

Seems to me that while a manual *would* be useful, that it's secondary to
making the interface easy to understand and building a community of people
who share what they know. I would be curious to know what kind of traffic
the Krita page on Userbase gets though...