Krita 2.4 on Windows: pros and cons

Ramón Miranda mirandagraphic at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 11:50:26 CEST 2011

Interesting Question Silvio. i am not going to detailt my thoughts too much.
I honestly think Krita is not ready for Windows for now at least on unstable
release . It has a lot of bugs (like others apps ) and windows users tends
to be not to much pattient with software. I know by my experience with Gimp
on the company that i was working. if Krita crash in my house (nothing
happens, well i scream thats all) but if Krita Goes windows, for sure will
crash too and a windows user accept 1 or 2 crashes. Then "this app is a
shit" thats it, so rude. maybe they don ´t really care the effort we put in
Krita, or if they are using the STABLE or UNSTABLE release.. Linux users are
less but more pattience and they usually report bugs. it is another
philosophy. so i agree with Cyrille "social problem" the way people learn
computers things.
But i have to be honest, and that makes me think too, I learn Open source by
windows apps. i began with Gimp., then Mypaint, and finally enter to Krita
when i installed Ubuntu. so the chain would be broken if there is no WIndows
Gimp release or mypaint. So how many users ,would be lost with no Windows
release ? i dont know.

My simple answer is NO, we are not ready. for this year. but the next year
things could be absolutly different because nowadays Krita has the biggest
potential in important fields like Brushes, color selection, bit depth and
amount of Devs

2011/7/19 Cyrille Berger Skott <cberger at cberger.net>

> On Monday 18 July 2011, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > I read the blog... And I agree with you: I don't think that supporting
> > Windows was the worst mistake the Gimp team made -- though I'm sure that
> > the influx of all the Windows users was a problem sometimes. We're going
> > to go about it in a different way, though, with a build server that
> > creates nightly builds for windows, runs the unittests and so on.
> >
> > I think a lot depends on the stage the project is in -- and I think Krita
> > has reached the right stage :-)
> I also think that gimp/windows problems are more of a social problem, and,
> am unsure if we are ready for that, but it can always be fixed later.
>
> --
> Cyrille Berger Skott

Ramón Miranda
www.ramonmiranda.com