Krita 2.4 - Windows: how to report bugs?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Dec 22 18:45:01 UTC 2011

On Thursday 22 December 2011 Dec, silvio grosso wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have just submitted my first crash report for Krita 2.4 (b4) on Windows 7 - Home Premium (64 bit).
> That is: bug 289602
>
> I make my test on a super-powerful machine  (Intel i7 core - sandy bridge); 8 giga ram :-)
> Krita is pretty snappy on it: I can't truly complain :-)
>
> On top of this, I try to reproduce my Windows' bugs on a Virtual machine with:
> Windows xp professional sp 3
>
> Here are my two questions:
>
> 1. Is it possible to get a backtrace "easily" on Windows in order to help you?
> As I have supposed, Dr Konqui doesn't work on Windows :-)

Worse, Microsoft actually forbids distributing debug builds. After Christmas, we're going to try to produce an installer that includes the so-called PDB packages, that might help.

Right now, the best thing is to have a really, really exact description of how to reproduce the bug, and then I can try to reproduce on my local debug build -- that will give a stacktrace of sorts (they are in general far less useful on Windows than on Linux, don't know why...) that enables me to start debugging.

I expect many problems, for instance with filters or scaling/shearing/rotating to be caused by packaging lcms1 on windows instead of lcms2. I can port lcms2 to windows, but that takes a bit of focussed effort.

> For instance, on Windows xp, I have tried to start Krita from the cmd "shell" (wind+R > cmd)
> But Krita doesn't start and I get this error:
> QtCore4.ddl NOT found
> As a consequence, I can't get more information about my crash through the cmd either.

You cannot start krita directly, you need to use the "env.bat" file, like this:

c:\program files\calligra\env.bat krita

> 2. In order NOT to duplicate my bugs, on the Kde bug tracker, should I ADD my reports to the bugs already reported for *Linux*?

That depends... It's a bit hard to say off-hand. I need some more experience in tracking bugs on windows before I really know what would be handy, so for now, I prefer duplicates marked windows.

> Just to give you an example.
> Both on Windows 7 and Windows Xp, I can make always crash when I upscale - downscale an image.
> This bug has been already reported on Ubuntu 11.10 - Unity SHELL (Krita 2.4 - beta 4)
>
> I have recorded a video with all my steps to get this same crash (on Windows 7):
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3095134/KRITA_WINDOWS_7_CRASH_DOWNSCALE.zip
> This crash occurs on Windows xp prof. sp3 as well.
>
> Should I report this crash as "new" since concerns Windows?
> Or, Shoud I add this bug as duplicated since it concerns Linux as well (Ubuntu 11.10)?
>
> Best regards and THANKS a lot indeed for having released Krita 2.4 on Windows as well :-)

We're already seeing stuff done on windows on the forum!