Regarding Tagging for Image Docker

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 00:28:34 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 8:07 PM, Silvio Heinrich <plassy at web.de> wrote:

> Am 04.08.2011 15:54, schrieb శ్రీ కాంత్ తియ్యగూర:
> >
> > Hi Silvio,
> >
> >        I am Srikanth Tiyyagura, working on  GSOC project " Resource
> > Management and Tagging for Krita." I heard from boud, that there is a
> > need of tagging support for image docker. Can you explain me what you
> > need actually ?
> >
> >    I seen the image docker widget where there are two tabs one is
> > browsing and another is image tab. Where can we place the textEdit bars
> > so that we can add, delete tags and search images using tags ?
> >
> > And also can you explain me in brief about image docker and various tabs
> > purpose ?
> >
> Well it is this: Artists often need a reference image to know how
> certain things are painted. I made the image docker exactly for this.
> You have the first tab where you can browse your hard drive for your
> reference images than double click on them and they will open in the
> second tab. There is nothing more to it.
>
> It would be nice if the artist is able to tag his reference images.
> But thats is different to the preset tagging since the images normally
> don't belong to krita the user is free to move them to any place he
> likes. I only can think of two solutions here... we write the tags to
> the images or we copy the image in a directory that belongs to krita.

That should already be done by Nepomuk, I think. Nepomuk should be able to
track if a file was moved.
Additionally there is the Metadata Writeback gsoc project that tries to save
metadata to files (no idea what the status is).

Using nepomuk also has the advantage that tags are also editable in Dolphin.

> I think on the GUI part we would need another tab to browse the saved
> (tagged) images. I can do the GUI stuff myself :) but some kind of API
> to handle the tagging would be nice (I don't know if you already have
> something).

I think it would be easier if the image docker could be merged into master.
Tagging could be done in a branch.
I think the UI needs to be different from the one used in resource as the
image docker can access all image on the system. So I think that the
resource tagging can't be reused directly.

> And there is the "Artistic Color Selector" docker what will need tagging
> in the near future, too but it doesn't save anything yet. I'm not
> familiar with the resource system. Is it possible to create and register
> a new resource type?

Yes, that is possible. Basically you need on resource call that inherits
from KoResource and does all the loading/saving. For the resource server you
can have a look at KisResourceServerProvider.