Recent development in Krita

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Apr 21 23:33:00 CEST 2011

On Thursday 21 April 2011 Apr, LukasT.dev at gmail.com wrote:
> I had some time at the airport so I take a look at Krita
> and I found one problem and also discovered some new cool stuff :-)
> Aimed at developers, so if you don't want to read long email,
> go and paint something with Krita instead!
>
> Problem:
> commit 246ae7d2d0c18559e692b9aefbed051edc0e12a0
> Author: Srikanth Tiyyagura <srikanth.tulasiram at gmail.com>
> Date:   Sun Apr 10 08:53:43 2011 +0530
>
> There is problem with this commit. I propose to revert it. It seems that sri13
> was fixing some alingment problems and then changed big amount
> of ui files without checking. It breaks the whole important
> UI in Krita. I checked and it breaks the layout of:
> Custom brush, Text brush in every brush engine. Bristle options
> in Hairy brush, hatching options and hatching preferences in hatch,
> chalk, deform brush, spray brush dialogs,...and many others. Please consider
> to revert it. Boud started to fix the situation in autobrush dialog, but commit
> added much, much more bugs then it fixed.

No -- I don't think it should be reverted. The change from QGridLayout to QFormLayout is an important one. What we should do now is make sure Srikanth knows about the regressions so he has time to fix them. He has already been really responsive, so I' confident that we'll get it done with soon.

> New stuff&questions:
>
> o Silvio implemented something with the channel locking.
> Does it mean that now you can turn off the channel from compositing
> but still change it? Do we distinc between visible and active color channel?
> If so, cool! The channel docker UI could be probably improved a bit, I like
> how it is done in GIMP, but not sure if that is the way to go. Any idea?

Not from my side atm.

> o Atop was removed as color mode, now you can use turn on/off transparency on
> layer I was not able to find some information in the pop-up, when you hover the
> layer: it displays information about the layer, last entry is "Disabled: ",
> not sure what is that. I'm not sure if it should be also undoable. I don't
> think so. It has similar UI as visible/invisible button of the
> layer and that is not undoable.

Switching on/off things with the layer icons shouldn't be undoable.

> o Color smudge is using KisImage to access projection. There were plans to
> remove KisImage from paintops. I remember I was doing some work for this in
> Action plan, to lessen the dependency as much as possible.
> In paintops we need canvas dimension and access to the projection or to any
> node (e.g. I want my brush to have color source in different layer or the
> projection). The problems with KisImage in paintops are known to boud and
> dmitry, maybe you can explain it once again here (we had some discussion about
> it on IRC long long time ago)

Right. The core of the issue here is that paintops should be able to work without a full KisImage (with the attendant threads for recomposition and everything), but on simple paint devices. And then... We want to work towards infinite canvas this summer, and then there are no canvas dimensions! For color sources, we can add a color source paint device to the options given to the paintop.

> o Cyrille add spacing controlled by sensors as separate option, it used to be
> dependent on the brush size
> Does the paintop developer fix all the paintops and add this option? What is
> the idea behind it?

That's for Cyrille to answer!

Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.valdyas.org, http://www.krita.org