Mirror strokes feature

LukasT.dev@gmail.com lukast.dev at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 16:11:06 CET 2010

>The question is: Is anyone going to implement mirroring as layer mode for
>2.4? If no, can I implement it in the tool/paintops?

Ok, here is the implementation in the tool/paintops
http://lukast.mediablog.sk/patches/mirror-in-paintops-feature.patch

Enable the mirroring in the tool docker.

I did two iterations. One was when mirroring was part of the preset and
then I moved the option to the paint tools.

You use CTRL+Shift+leftclick to setup the center of the mirror axis. I'm
not sure if it conflicts with picking the color as background color, I
think I will add small button to change the mode of the tool instead of
shortcut. Any better idea?

The axis is not visualized yet. I will wait with this when the trunk opens
so that I can work together with artists or maybe you can tell me now: o
should be the axis visible when you paint somehow? it is not in alchemy
but sometimes I forgot where I put it.
o how it should be visualized when you paint?
o when you setup the axis, it should be visualized, I will implement it
according alchemy way

I think this approach is destructive and has it's pros and cons.
The layer way is non-destructive. I think features can nicely complement
each other. I discovered that e.g. with deform brush you get funny effects
when you deform the areas that are laying on the axis of the mirroring and
that would not be possible when implementing as layer.

Enjoy! I had a lot of fun with this feature, even curve brush seems to be
usable now ;)

Some abstract demo : http://imagebin.ca/view/fCU3sx.html

Patch:
http://lukast.mediablog.sk/patches/mirror-in-paintops-feature.patch