A GSoC proposal to work on a canvas with realistic color mixing

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Mar 30 11:53:39 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 30 March 2010, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > The other issue, getting a nice and detailed texture, can be solved in
> > two ways. Gimp really isn't the best application to compare with here
> > since it doesn't implement either. The first method is to store texture
> > information (roughness, height map, wetness, etc) on the canvas, the
> > other is to make a brush engine that paints in a way that gives a
> > textured feel, like Krita's sumi-e or soft brush (with some settings).
>
> FWIW, the advantage of the first method is it is more realistic (can mix
> with fluid-flow simulation)

Well, that's out of scope for now.

> and lets you do things like fiddle with
> lighting simulation. This is what Painter does (for those that don't know).

Only for the bumpmapped impasto layer, as far as I know. They don't do
lighting effects for wet paint, I think.

> What would be a really neat add-on to that is to store the paint
> per-pixel as an array so that you remember the paint that is "lower".
> Then you can implement tools to scrape away paint and see what is
> underneath ;-).

That would mean we have a sort of per-pixel layers. I think artists are
comfortable enough with layers to allow them to achieve this effect already,
though it's an interesting idea. The performance implications worry me,
though.