A GSoC proposal to work on a canvas with realistic color mixing

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 30 02:30:21 CEST 2010

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> The other issue, getting a nice and detailed texture, can be solved in two
> ways. Gimp really isn't the best application to compare with here since it
> doesn't implement either. The first method is to store texture information
> (roughness, height map, wetness, etc) on the canvas, the other is to make a
> brush engine that paints in a way that gives a textured feel, like Krita's
> sumi-e or soft brush (with some settings).

FWIW, the advantage of the first method is it is more realistic (can mix
with fluid-flow simulation) and lets you do things like fiddle with
lighting simulation. This is what Painter does (for those that don't know).

What would be a really neat add-on to that is to store the paint
per-pixel as an array so that you remember the paint that is "lower".
Then you can implement tools to scrape away paint and see what is
underneath ;-).

@Pentalis: I've some ideas on ways to set brush color that would help
with drawing hair/fur, if you're interested. Probably would be more
reasonable as scope for a GSoC project... (But I can't mentor, no time.
And by "reasonable" I mean "not the moon", but it might not be enough.)
There are also the generator layers concept that unfortunately stalled,
but I guess that is not as interesting to you.

--
Matthew
Microsoft has become the next IBM; a dinosaur struggling to survive in