Photographic features and other non-paint features)

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Mar 10 21:39:16 CET 2010

On Wednesday 10 March 2010, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > I think for your usecase Gimp at least with gegl integration probably
> > will be closer to what you need than Krita.
>
> Is GIMP ever getting filter layers?

Probably, though probably not soon.

> > Currently only Photoshop comes close to being an integrated solution
>
> PS isn't Free, so doesn't count :-).
>
> > and even Adobe cuts it into pieces e.g camera raw plugin, Lightroom,
> > ImageReady etc.
>
> True. *IF* there were free versions of those, it wouldn't be such an issue.

But it is not an issue for Krita: once we stop being the application that has
to provide everything no other application provices, plus everything gimp
provides for the s/G/K/ crowd we can start defining what Krita is in terms of
itself, instead of what other applications are.

So: whatever other applications provide is immaterial. Krita should provide
what we want it to provide for our own reasons. And even statements like
"texture artists using photoshop use feature Y a lot" are suspicious: we first
need to figure out _what_ they want to achieve when they use feature Y, and
then determin whether it's only a work-around -- and if it is only a
workaround, we might try to find a better way to help those artists achieve
their goals.

> > I don't think that we should go the way to build a very broad application
> > that covers a bit of everything but does nothing right.  What's most
> > important for Krita right now is too become really stable and fast, so
> > the narrower the focus the better. Once that is done there will be more
> > people creating plugins and at some point there might be a another
> > application that is either a seperate application or just a Krita with
> > addtional photo plugins, but we are not there yet.
>
> I'm not disagreeing, just please don't make it too hard to obtain that
> goal :-).

It is not a goal, so we should not evaluate anything we do in that light. If
it's possible, fine, but if we need to make Krita a worse application in the
light of our vision to make it possible to have a photo-krita-clone, then we
should not care about the photo-krita-clone.