Photographic features and other non-paint features)

Michael Thaler michael.thaler at physik.tu-muenchen.de
Tue Mar 2 09:02:58 CET 2010

Hi,

> Lets start the list of (purely) photographic related features:
> * lens correction
> * tone mapping
> * bracketing to HDR layer
> * Gaussian / Wavelet noise reduction
>
> And the list of filters that I don't think are so useful for our vision:
> * cubism
> * pixelize
> * raindrop
> * oilpaint
> * emboss ?
> * small tiles
> * round corner
>
> If you disagree with that list, or if you want to add something, feel free
>  to tell it :)
>
> Also I had like to delay their removal until I have setup a proper
> infrastructure to host extensions (more about that in a mail), which would
> probably mean remove them after 2.2.

I guess I missed the whole discussion about Krita's vision. What are Krita's
goals nowadays?

I think it would be sad to remove these filters from Krita. They might not be
that useful for photographic related work, but they are fun and it is always
better to have more filters. Is there a reason you want to remove them other
then that they are not useful for photographic work?

Personally I would really like Krita to become something like Corel Painter
for Linux, that is a natural media painting application. Such an application
would be really fun to work with (I just got Corel Painter 11 and an Intuos 4
L yesterday. Unfortuantely I did not have any time to play with it so far).

I did not do any work on Krita or KDE in general for a long time, but a week
ago I started a small personal project to become familiar with Qt again: I try
to port WetDreams to Qt and extend it a bit so that one can export the images.
Apart from learning Qt4 I want to know how watercolor painting actually works.

Greetings,
Michael