Copyright notices

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Thu Jun 17 20:07:11 CEST 2010

On Thursday 17 June 2010, JL VT wrote:
> Nevertheless, copyright laws don't vary that much --luckily--
> compared to industrial property laws (i.e.: Patents), that's why I
> think a methodically built policy can be made.
Quiet the opposite... Copyright laws is much more changing from country to
country than patent. For instance, patents law is uniform all over Europe, the
length is the same in different country. But the scope of what is patentable
differs. While for copyright law, length of protection vary from country to
country (the point of origin of the protection too), whether companies can own
copyright or if it is only individual, if the copyright can be transmitted or
not, etc... And there is no uniformity over Europe, even less in the world.

In my opinion, lets stick to the usual policy: "you get copyright on a file
after a substantial change, and add a copyright line at the top of the file to
please the US (and to help tracking copyright holders in other countries)."

--
Cyrille Berger