Krita handbook - Fundamentals - Starting Krita

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Sun Feb 21 13:45:43 CET 2010

On Sunday 21 February 2010, Mag. Leonhard Landrock wrote:
> Am Sonntag 21 Februar 2010 04:18:17 schrieb Sven Langkamp:
> > On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Mag. Leonhard Landrock
> >
> >  <1977-Hamlet at gmx.at> wrote:
> > > Question: How many documents might be presented within the recent
> > > documents form at the start of Krita?
> > >
> > > After you have started Krita first thing you have to do is to choose
> > > between
> > > “Recent Documents”, “Open Document”, “Custom Document”, “CMYK”,
> > > “Greyscale” and “RGB”.
> > >
> > > Now, what is the maximum of documents Krita might present you within
> > > the recent documents form?
> >
> > 10
>
> Thanks for your answer Sven.   :-)
>
> @Everyone:  I have just uploaded the first version of the "Starting Krita"
> page of the handbook. Just have a look at
>
> http://userbase.kde.org/Krita/Manual/Starting_Krita
>
> and give me some (positive) feedback.   ;-)
>
> Nevertheless I do have some more questions now. Hopefully you or another
> one of the developers has time to answer me. These questions are all
> relevant for the "Starting Krita" page of the handbook.
>
> I hope my questions are clear enough. Especially after reading the new
> site.
>
> BTW: Please do read the new page of the Krita handbook before trying to
> answer my questions.
>
> Part "General document selection":
>
> *) Will there be any more templates in the future for CMYK, Greyscale and
> RGB?
I think we want different templates... I am not sure how useful are those
templates in real life.

> *) Is it easyly possible to create its own new templates?
Possible, yes. Easily, not really. You can look in
$PREFIX/share/apps/krita/templates for our current templates. What you need is
a similar .desktop file and .kra file, that can be copied in
$HOME/.kde/share/apps/krita/templates

> Part "Specific document selection":
>
> *) Recent Documents: For what document types is a preview available?
The same as in dolphin/konqueror, should work for our all our file format
nowdays.

> *) Custom Document:
> **) What will the name be used for?
It is the name of the image.

> **) What are the maximum values for Width and Height?
> **) What is the measurement of “Resolution”? What is the maximum value for
> Resolution?
Are you using 2.1 ? For 2.2, we have fixed and add the resolution unit which is
ppi (aka pixels-per-inch)

> **) What does “Screen size” do? It sets with and height to a value but it
> does not affect the measure. If I have the with in decimetres and press
> “Screen size” it still gives me a width of 1920!
It is supposed to give the screen size. Sounds buggy, for me it gave the
screensize - plasma panel.

> **) What is the difference between the “Default RGB colour space - sRGB”
> colour profile and the “sRGB” colour profile?
Erm, hopefully, none.

> **) What is the “canvas colour”? Is it the colour of the sheet you draw on?
Default color of the background of the image.

> **) The opacity from what can be selected? What are the values one can
> select (only 0 or 100% opacity)? Is there any chance to know the real
> value? There is no number for the percentage of opacity shown.
Opacity of the first layer (which, if you want my opinion is terribely
confusing).

> **) How many characters long might the description be?
Infinity :) (or rather bound by memory)

> What characters are supported? Is unicode supported?
Of course. Actually it might be local dependant... But nowdays, most linux are
utf8 by default.

--
Cyrille Berger