Krita stand-alone installer for Windows?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sun Apr 11 12:05:38 CEST 2010

On Saturday 10 April 2010, silvio grosso wrote:

> To sum up, in my opinion, at least this year, it is probably A LOT better
> to concentrate all efforts on Linux :-)

Yes, I agree. We don't have to bother about packaging at all, which frees us
up for fixing the bits that are still really not good enough.

Next year, I really want to get Krita on Windows (I don't care at all about
(or for) OS X at the moment) -- Lukas proposal to have a sprint about that
with the kde-windows people makes sense. The only way to make Krita useful on
Windows is by having a real Windows installer, bitrock or msi, at least, until
Microsoft has ported apt-get :-)

But I'm also going to be at aKademy this, which has as its tagline "KDE beyond
the Linux Desktop" iirc, and there might be a bof about getting your app
packaged for windows. I'll contact the kde-win people whether something like
that is planned, and if it is, I promise I'll attend.

I _do_ have a Windows KDE development environment, it's just that it's broken
:-).

> At home I use Windows xp and
> thanks to Virtualbox I use currently many Linux distributions (these days
> I am trying the second beta of Ubuntu, named Lucid Lynx). For painting, on
> Windows you have Gimp and MyPaint which have a nice stand-alone installer.
> I must confess I would appreciate the same option for Krita as well :-) I
> am aware it is not "nice" to say so but, in the end, on Windows, Gimp and
> MyPaint might be preferred thanks to their "easiest" way to install them.
>
> What do you think about my rant? :-)

I agree :-)