Krita stand-alone installer for Windows?

LukasT.dev@gmail.com lukast.dev at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 12:07:29 CEST 2010

> Hi everyone,
>
> Lately, in my spare time, I have googled a bit the Krita's web-site.
> At this regard, I didn't find any updated information regarding any plan to
> have a stand-alone installer for Windows. Needless to say, in my opinion,
> this installer might concern the future versions of Krita (not the 2.2 or
> 2.3 ones).

I'm not aware of any plans :)

> At present, you can try Krita on Windows thanks the Kde 4 installer but, in
> my honest opinion, it would be better to have a stand-alone installer such
> as other softwares provide (e.g. Gimp or MyPaint).

I hoped for some krita-setup.exe which would only setup KDE installer in a way
that all deps (kdelibs, ...) are installed and just krita is installed (AFAIK
you have to install even koffice) and user don't see that, he just install
Krita.

> Here they are:
> PROS:

It would scale user-base significantly.

> To sum up, in my opinion, at least this year, it is probably A LOT better
> to concentrate all efforts on Linux :-)

I think we have to make the Krita 2.3 really really great and Windows would
just slow down the effort I think. We need to fix bugs, fix performance and fix
usability.

> What do you think about my rant? :-)

I suppose this could be other target for donation campaign in the future
(maybe 2011? we discussed other campaign already in Deventer).
I don't think somebody will pop up and start to develop on Windows.
E.g. nobody in Krita team can help you with that now. Some people tried to
compile Krita on Windows (boud, me) and that's probably all.

My proposal for this is
Join with kde-windows people. Jaroslaw Staniek is the most experienced KOffice
developer on Windows platform. Make a sprint with him (them), learn about KDE
Windows development with the kdewin team.

You would have to pay also for the developer to study a lot.

Targets
* help to create the installer for Windows with KDE windows team (work with
KDE windows team as full time developer)
* test Krita on windows, fix Windows related bugs

GIMP is also not developed on Windows much. The installer for Windows
is done by Jernej Simončič and I contacted him about this long time ago and
he said that  he is cross-compiling. He compiles GIMP with gcc from Linux to
target Windows. Fedora has quite good support for cross-compiling. They
provide some pre-compiled packages already (Qt,...) so this could be explored.
Also there is some simple installer available there. I can't remember the
name. Also some possibility for development from Linux.I tried  it and I gave
up because it requires a lot of time and effort.

That's my 2 cents ;)