whither krita -- summary

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Sep 24 09:57:49 CEST 2009

Looks like the discussion has run its course, so I want to make a shortish
summary, juxtaposing the things mentioned. There were a couple of interesting
things noted! But that doesn't mean we've found our direction.

There are quite a number of contradictions:

flexible, comprehensive app  <---------> polish and usability
platform for experimentation <---------> stable application for users
creating images              <---------> manipulating images
integrated in koffice        <---------> attractive to artists
corel painter                <---------> photoshop
competing with gimp          <---------> competing with mypaint
go all node                  <---------> continue with the current core

Use cases I've seen in the thread:

 * photo manipulation
 * HDR workflow (for film or for pictures?
 * illustrations and comics
 * sketching
 * integration with movie workflow, blender
 * web development (what is that, actually?)

Can all these things work in one application?

Reasons to work on Krita:

 * can do experimentation
 * want to create an app I can use
 * it's fun to work on
 * prefer qt, c++ over gtk, c (I find this a bit disappointing, this can
hardly become a compelling reason for people to use the application)

Work flows

And there are differences in the way we work personally that also influence
the characteristics of Krita: Cyrille paints using small brushes, I tend to
use big brushes on big, high-res canvas. That means a very different workflow.
I love enkithan's comic book artist use-case, and I think we need more of
them. (It also makes clear that we need to work on memory consumption and
performance first thing! 1000 dpi A4...)

Wishes and todo's

We've got a big todo list that once again is reasonably up to date. There are
many wishlist items in bugzilla -- and I haven't looked at them for over two
years since there is too much to do already.

So, what's the vision?

The only way I can resolve the above in a mission statement is something like
this: "krita is an platform for experimentation for developers and application
that surprises its users." I'm not sure whether this is going to be a banner
to conquer the world with!