Whither Krita?

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 04:48:13 CEST 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:

> So -- what is the story about Krita? What can make Krita compelling to the
> artist? I think it makes sense to individually identify why we are
> personally
> working on Krita and what we want to get out of it in the first place, and
> use that to develop a vision for Krita that we can work towards.

I'm neither an artist nor a photographer, so not creating masterpieces with
Krita ;)
Actually I started working on Krita, because I wanted to work on a cool
software project.

I think the mix of painting, photo and vector functionality makes Krita
unique. We have all different uses and backgrounds, which merge into one
app. The challenge is to combine everything into compelling package. I like
how Kritas flexibility allows to have all this in the same app.

I think the main problems preventing Krita from breakthrough are performance
and stability. I read many reviews and user comments and often Krita is
praised for the features but unusable as it's too slow or crashing often. We
have a Canon EOS 300D at home, which we got aroud the time when I started
working on Krita. It takes comparatively small images by todays standards
(newer model have more than twice the resolution), still running filter
takes far too long.