Tool overlay and cursor shapes

LukasT.dev@gmail.com lukast.dev at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 00:28:08 CEST 2009

Hi,

I would like to work on tool overlays (I consider tool overlay line preview,
circle preview, brush outline) and fix related bugs.

I'm waiting whether somebody approve my commit which uses QImage as buffer in
canvas although we have many buffers in the render chain...At least my patch
would help me to fix some issues (I could use various compositing modes, e.g.
XOR, without fear that some platform or X11 would not work correctly)

Related bugs:
* When you change the cursor shape in Krita, it is changed after you change
the tool from freehand to some other tool and back to freehand.

* Brush outlines are invisible on black surfaces. Solution is composition mode
ala XOR or black-and-white outline of the tool. This was discussed on IRC with
boemann and Cyrille and I tested various approaches for this so just document
your opinion here please.

[1] - black and white, bad version, tool overlays should not be scaled
[2] - correct the bad version ^
[3] - no anti-aliasing, b&w again
[4] - anti-aliasing, view on gradient
[5] - dashed b&w version

I would prefer some intelligent XOR instead of black&white versions. When the
under-laying pixel has brightness less then 50 use black pixel, white
otherwise...

Pure XOR has some "127 problem" which boemann was talking about and this can
be partially solved or moved when you use color like gimp uses --
RGB(128,255,128).

* When brush outline is selected, only freehand provides something, other
tools are in mode No Cursor or something.

Your opinions?

Lukas

[1] http://imagebin.ca/view/dD9wQP7E.html
[2] http://imagebin.ca/view/1hrbEwJS.html