Selections on the Adjustment layers

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Sep 3 20:58:20 CEST 2009

On Thursday 03 September 2009, Sven Langkamp wrote:

> I think with the way masks currently work in Krita it doesn't get much
> clearer:
> http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/8666/adjustmentlayer.png
>
> On one hand it's more clear that you have a mask. On the other hand the
> placement below the layer makes it harder to see that there is a mask as
> it's only indicated by a "+" and you always you always have to colapse the
> tree to edit it.

Well, that's just an implementation artefact of our layerbox: originally, we
intended to make masks appear in a row after the layer, but that was never
implemented.

> We should think about the possiblity to treat pixel and vector
> independently.

Make two different types of selections? That might well help, if we can find a
solution for the global selection.

> The major problem I have with the current masks is the order in which the
> composition done from user point of view.
>
> Example:
> http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5144/adjustmentlayer2.png
>
> With filter mask it starts with the paint layer, jumps to the lowest child
> of the layer and goes upwards while compositing (With explicit masks would
> even be one level deeper)

Er -- what do you mean with explicit masks here? I'm not suggesting to take
make a filter mask into two nodes in the layerbox, but we could consider
making the mask/selection/paintdevice in the filter layer explicit.

> What's also weird is that the preview image of the finished layer would be
> shown in the first child of the source layer (last filter mask).
>
> With adjustment layer you need additional group layer, but it has the
> advantage that the group layer shows the preview. Another advantage is that
> the compositing only upwards.

I'm not sure I follow you here, not even with the image.

> One big problem is that if you have a very slow filter in between real-time
> updates are no longer possible.

But that's always going to be a problem, right? Not sure how relevant that's
here.