Selections on the Adjustment layers

Dmitry Kazakov dimula73 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 19:35:37 CEST 2009

For Sven:

> As far as I can see does Photoshop solve this completely different. They
only
> have adjustment layers, but these can be applied to
> layer so that they work just like filter masks.

That's not good to change area of interest of the adj. layer on the go. "One
function - one tool", right?
Layer - applies to the stack projection.
Mask - applies to a layer

>>> Now to resume my thinking :
>>> - All masks must behave the same way, even if built-in a special layer
type.
>>> - The current filter layer built-in mask is almost unusable :/.>> I'm
working on this.
> Just curious. How are you going to solve that?

Activate application of a selection during merge? =)

For Boud:

> I never understood the photoshop way of doing things, while I do think I
> understand Krita's design pretty well

This doesn't proof anything! And you understand that :p

>, and I don't think it's as bad as this discussion seems to conclude

Well, if you scroll back a bit, you see that a couple of messages before i
agreed that this system is NOT bad. Selections are nessesary. (repeat again)
Selections are introduced to conform masks paradigm (adj. layers should work
in the same way as masks). =)
So it's not that bad! At least for now.

> I would like to see a design from Dmitry first, before he commits a big
change
> to the current design -- the notes about the current design are on the
wiki
> (http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=Krita/SelectionsMasks) and I
think
> also in the krita/doc directory.

Of course i'll publish it onto reviewboard and others. There is no change
from users point of view. I've just moved most of masks stuff into KisLayer
and prepared some framework for bottom-up strategy.

For Sven again: =)
> The major problem I have with the current masks is the order in
> which the composition done from user point of view.

>Example:
> http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/5144/adjustmentlayer2.png

> With filter mask it starts with the paint layer, jumps to the lowest child
> of the layer and goes upwards while compositing (With explicit masks
> would even be one level deeper)What's also weird is that the preview
> image of the finished layer would be shown in the first child of the
source layer (last filter mask).

I don't like the second way as it takes tooooo much space on your workplace.

Idea! What if we'll introduce a tree with the root in the bottom and
branches at the top? =)

Like this:

--o Layer3
--o Layer2

  + Second mask

  + First mask

--+ Layer1
--o Layer0

What do you think?

> With adjustment layer you need additional group layer, but it has the
> advantage that the group layer shows the preview.

Adj. layers can show a preview too. What is the problem? They have their own
projection - no problem!

> Another advantage is that the compositing only upwards.

Look at the picture above.

--
Dmitry Kazakov