Selections on the Adjustment layers

enki enkithan at free.fr
Thu Sep 3 16:38:10 CEST 2009

Sven Langkamp wrote:

> There a big differences between Krita and the "well-known graphic
> editor". I have to admit that had to look through a few tutorials and
> wasn't aware how they solved it.
>
> In Krita you can have masks and layers in the layer stack. While in
> Gimp/Photoshop you have the mask directly on the layer.
> This design means for Krita is you can apply an infinite number of
> transparency or filter layers to a layer.

Yes flexibility is important too. I never used more than two masks on
one layer, but that doesn't mean nobody will have the use for more.
There is another disadvantage of the Photoshop/Gimp way: sometimes it's
hard to know if you paint on your mask or on your layer. The area to
grab the layer is reduced and the layer name can be hidden.
> As far as I can see does Photoshop solve this completely different.
> They only have adjustment layers, but these can be applied to layer so
> that they work just like filter masks.
> Something that I especially like is that you don't need a seperate
> mask menu to move masks.
>
> I have to admit that doing it that way looks cleaner, but I don't see
> any way to go there from the current system in Krita. I would be
> tempted to give such a system a try, if it wouldn't mean such a big
> rewrite and break.

The feature that let you make a filter mask of a filter layer is the
clipping mask. When you alt + click between two layers, the top layer is
only projected on the bottom layer.
It's a bit like having a group layer + a mask, except the parent layer
is your mask. You can then paint both color and transparency for the
whole group with one stroke, instead of having to update the mask each
time you want to extend your layer.