Selections on the Adjustment layers

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Sep 3 09:44:49 CEST 2009

On Thursday 03 September 2009, Sven Langkamp wrote:
> >> - as a colored overlay.
> >
> > Sven said we had that one day, but now it simply doesn't work.
>
> Well it works somehow for selection, you can set m_mode(Ants) to
> m_mode(Mask) in KisSelectionDecoration.
> The big disadvatage outside of the other projections and needs a QImage
>  with the same size as the image, which is of course no solution for really
>  big images.

But shouldn't be the case: it shouldn't need to be bigger than the canvas
viewport. If doing that isn't feasible, we could go back to the 1.6 method of
putting the mask visualisation back into the recomposition stack. That
wouldn't be more than a few hours of forward porting of an old feature.

> In Krita you can have masks and layers in the layer stack. While in
> Gimp/Photoshop you have the mask directly on the layer.
> This design means for Krita is you can apply an infinite number of
> transparency or filter layers to a layer.
>
> As far as I can see does Photoshop solve this completely different. They
> only have adjustment layers, but these can be applied to layer so that they
> work just like filter masks.
> Something that I especially like is that you don't need a seperate mask
>  menu to move masks.

I never understood the photoshop way of doing things, while I do think I
understand Krita's design pretty well, and I don't think it's as bad as this
discussion seems to conclude

> Just curious. How are you going to solve that?

I would like to see a design from Dmitry first, before he commits a big change
to the current design -- the notes about the current design are on the wiki
(http://wiki.koffice.org/index.php?title=Krita/SelectionsMasks) and I think
also in the krita/doc directory.

I'll re-read this discussion and post some more comments later on.