New feature for review

enki enkithan at free.fr
Sat Nov 7 21:17:46 CET 2009

Cyrille Berger wrote:
> So maybe what we need is a new class "Editor", that would be triggered by
> paint tools when the user press shift, that would countains a set of hanles,
> be able to draw an overlay (not so good for UI seperation though), and list
> actions (that can be assigned to keyboard).
>
> With the handles you could change the size of the brush, set the
> position/offset for the duplicate op. Overlay would fix the visualisation issue
> for when the user do not use the outline. And finaly action could countains
> stuff like "increase brush size" that could be mapped to a shortcut.

I don't think using handle is the best way (if you mean handles like
shape transformation overlay, around the bounding box):
- It will be hard to resize brushes to small brush sizes as absolute
movements of 1-3 pixels are not easy to do.
- Several modes will be needed so that different overlays don't overlap
with each-others. That may be slow to switch between them.

But if by handle you meant any widget that can be catched, I think it
could work like that :
1.You press shift, a circle of big icons appears around the cursor
position. Each icons is a widget that works like LukasT's patch.
2.Click-drag on any icons to increase or decrease the value of a brush
option.
While you drag the mouse:
- the overlay/outline appears around the brush and is updated.
- icons are hidden to facilitate the viewing of overlay.
- the parameter's value is displayed in the status bar or on the canvas.
3.When you release the mouse, the transformation is applied and icons
reappears.
-If you keep shift pressed, you can change other settings.
-If you release shift, the circle disappears.

I think it would be almost as fast than the current patch, there is just
one more mouse movement to attain the icon.