The future of Airbrush

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri May 1 15:28:47 CEST 2009

On Saturday 18 April 2009, LukasT.dev at gmail.com wrote:

> I added the rate option to the GUI when the trunk was open. So now you can
> also use the rate option for the Airbrush.When you don't move with mouse
> and the paintop support painting when not moving with mouse, you can set
> the timer of how often the paintop delivers its data to the canvas.
>
> slangkamp proposes to change Airbrush for spray. What are you opinions
> about this?

I think they are different things. The current airbrush implementation is too
simple-minded, but the spray paintop and a proper airbrush paintop are
different things. But to develop a proper airbrush (with support for the wacom
airbrush controls), you'd need to have some experience with a real airbrush.

The main difference with spray and airbrush is that while an airbrush sprays,
too, it sprays particles that are generally too small to see :-)

> Other way is to improve current Airbrush so that it respects tilt, rotation
> and pressure from tablet (boud is mentioning this in bug report)

And the other wacom airbrush controls. That's the way to go, I feel.

> Airbrush in Gimp is the same as Pixel Brush and
> has two different options : rate and pressure. We already have airbrush
> from Gimp in Krita (so my comment to bug report  ^^^ is useless)

Well, I didn't copy the gimp code orignally, only made sure it kept depositing
color when held stationary.

of course, what would be really cool to have with a proper airbrush
implementation are two things:

 * drip (if you spray too long in one place, the ink should start dripping
 * a set of masks. If you use a real airbrush, you generally have a set of
masks at hand that allow you to spray thin lines, shapes etc. I know you can
achieve the same effect with the current selection/masking code, but it would
be really nice if we had a drawer with predefined mask shapes that you could
put on the canvas, move about, spray over and put back.