Krita PRNG (minor nit)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 3 23:30:07 CET 2009

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> I'm comparing notes now, will see if I can comment on the 'noticeable
>> pattern' mentioned in r934614; it may be a while before I can look
>> though as I am doing a full rebuild due to the qt-copy update.
>
> Strictly looking at the code, I would guess it would help if the input
> wasn't 'x + y * a' (where 'a' is a relatively small number).

This would help, yes, although it's not enough; the output is still
noticeably patterned (though the resulting pattern is much more subtle
than the current implementation and probably not visible on areas less
than a hundred or so pixels).

Looking at this (without the above change) I noticed something a little
problematic... while the histogram is noticeably more uniform than what
my latest iteration produced, there are also visible "dead zones" at
regular intervals, which means that certain values are systemically
underrepresented.

I'm attaching my updated test code along with a sample histogram
screenshot that shows the problem. The attached code provides over a
half dozen algorithm implementations including svn versions 853122 (cos
algorithm), 934502 and 934614, as well as my latest proposal and various
previous attempts.

--
Matthew
"Still not King." -- Aragorn