Deform brush and deadlocks

Dmitry Kazakov dimula73 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 17:13:06 CEST 2009

Well, i can't join your conversation fully right now. But there are some my
ideas:

1) We won't prevent two write iterators from writing to different lines with
exclusive access if we make a good recursive(!) read-write lock with
relocking for different type of access ability. It'll create quite a big
overhead, but it'll work.

2) I think we need locking in general. And we shouldn't (or can't) leave it
to the upper level. Example: deform-brush case. I don't know how it happened
exactly (didn't have time yet to investigate properly), but merging and
previewing was started in parallel with brush working. I think it's logical,
that merging should wait until a brush finishes it's work. Or we could allow
it to show half-done work? I think this is main question of our discussion.
We don't have any concurrency between painting tools (at least now), all
races happen while previewing. If we allowed layer-updater thread to show
user half-done work, the system would be much simplier.
In such a case we'd need write-locks only.

3) At the moment, i think the best variant is (if we decide to do locking at
all):
- Leave exclusive locks.
- Introduce a rule, that one thread won't have more than one read and one
write iterator simultaneously.
- Rewrite iterators (i planned it already, but i planned to do it after
mipmapping) is such a way, that it releases ALL cached tiles when goes to
sleep. In such a case we lower deadlock probability, but we don't solve the
problem itself, because a thread still can have locked tiles on entering the
sleep. It can be solved by joining together read and write iterators (or
their caches, or even more - per thread storage of locked tiles cache), but
there are some issues, e.g. we can't unlock a tile that we were writing to
if we can't get an access to some other tile for read. If we do - it'll be
an equivalent to no locking at all.

4) Locking with QRect.
If a tool would lock entire rect it needs before starting work - it would be
great! It would solve deadlock problem completely - as "Circular
wait<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_wait>condition" would be
removed. But in such a case we should rewrite entire
Krita codebase, shouldn't we?

PS:
Btw, locking rects would improve caching too. It could be based on rect
iterators... Just add random and line accessing abilities to
KisRectIterator... I like this idea... But it's too expensive...

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_wait

Dmitry Kazakov