A couple of problems using Krita

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Jun 9 13:31:46 CEST 2009

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, David wrote:

> Ouch. That sounds really painful. Don't people in Photoshop sometimes
> have hundreds of layers?

I presume so... I've never really used Photoshop myself.

> Maybe most Photoshop users use a naming and layer structure discipline
> to find the layers when they need them? I've never actually used the
> program or had any graphics editing training.

I've seen that recommended, naming and structuring layers.

> Fwiw, here's my use case: I'm using Linux tools to edit sprites
> extracted from video games. Those sprites data are sometimes very
> complicated and broken up into little parts for game animation
> purposes. So to put them back together I need layers to move them
> around just right (and not have to start over if I made a mistake
> earlier). Sometimes those layers need to be rotated and resized too.
> Then I'm using the Gimp Animation Plugin to create animated GIFs.
>
> Is Krita suitable for this kind of editing, or should I rather stick
> with Inkscape? (after splitting up the sprite sheets with other
> tools).

Well, Krita isn't really good at pixel-precise editing and definitely not
good at all at indexed raster graphics (like gif). I haven't tried to
do what you are doing, but I'm definitely interested in hearing whether you
find Krita suitable for your needs, and if it isn't (completely) suitable,
what we could improve.

Boudewijn