Paintop Presets

Sven Langkamp sven.langkamp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 18:08:21 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:

> On Monday 06 July 2009, Sven Langkamp wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, I meant the preset preview. It currently has the problem that lots
> of
> > brushes can't show a useful preview.
> > Some brushes aren't suitable especially the bigger ones and paintops like
> > deform are totally different. We will probably need special cases for
> some
> > of the more special paintops.
>
> That's possible -- we could for some paintops paint the preview on top of a
> gradient. That would help with the eraser or the deform paintop. Maybe we
> can
> do an automatic check on the footprint of the preview painting, and then
> scale
> down?

When you scale the previews it's more difficult to compare brushes with
different sizes as they appear with the same in the the preview.
I guess there is no way around it. How do other apps solve this?

> > Maybe the artists can make some mockups how each paintop should look
> like?
>
> That won't work: you cannot create fixed previews for presets, it is meant
> as
> a dynamic preview that really shows the effect of the options you tweak.
> I'm
> not sure how photoshop manages, but I'm aiming at the same effect here.

Not fixed previews. I would like to have mockups to see how it should look
before we start to implement it.

> > Have a look. The design of other apps is no excuse ;)
>
> Which paintop is that? I don't seem to be able to find any paintop with a
> "Main" tab in my krita. A much bigger issue than nested tabs is that the
> popup
> doesn't popup completely inside my screen on the first click, only on the
> second click. I notice there are some other layout issues in other
> paintops,
> like deform, too.

Dynamic brush. The popup shows up correctly here, maybe it's an issue that
only happens on smaller screens.
The layout of of the widgets isn't very consitent, but that's a minor
problem.

My biggest problem with Krita 2.1 isn't any of these things, though, it's
> that
> it still starts at twice my screen height!

Well that's a docker problem and happens in all KOffice apps.