Wanted: channel remapping with implicit colorspace conversion

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Thu Sep 18 09:08:42 CEST 2008

On Thursday 18 September 2008, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Cyrille Berger wrote:
> > On Wednesday 17 September 2008, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> >> Ok, you made me try it. Seems to have worked this time; but I'd (not
> >> surprisingly ;-) ) prefer to be able to fiddle with the white balance
> >> after, rather than having to pick something at import. (I guess we do
> >> want to be able to read in the camera white balance, but could the
> >> import dump the de-bayered data without other processing onto one layer
> >> and create filter layers for the rest?)
> >
> > The import does that, since it's stored in the metadata.
>
> Right, that's what I was getting at. But it would be awesome if the
> import would create filter layers for this stuff so it can be tweaked
> afterward.

Yup, but debayerisation + wb is about the only filters we can creates
automatically on import of raw files.

> ...and filters just "wouldn't work" on bayer CS (maybe some would but I
> don't think we need to go out of our way to make *any* work).

Bayer CS is RGB ;)

> > But we don't have a white balance filter.
>
> We don't? ;-)
> Actually, white balance (a.k.a. tint/warmth) is a filter IMHO we really
> /ought/ to have... I guess it's getting too late to add this in 2.0?

About two monthes late ;)

> (Although, does krita do the w.b. or does [libk]dcraw handle it? If the
> latter, doesn't that mean the code is already available, and just needs
> to be wrapped in a filter?)
Yes the code is available (and isn't complicated for that matter) but no it's
not wrappable, libkdcraw only give the resulting image (and that's all it can
give access cucrrently)

> Aww, they're "only" 12-15 M ;-). (Actually, since I'd likely use a white
> wall for a test shot, possibly smaller.)
Well the automatic test suite is downloaded by every developers. And not
everybody has easy access to a broadband connection.

> Is the uncompressed one just one you have, then? And where/how should I
> send them?
The one I have comes from http://www.rawsamples.ch/ . I have no idea wether or
not it is compressed. Nor if it's 12bits or 14bits.

--
Cyrille Berger