Wanted: channel remapping with implicit colorspace conversion

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 18 01:26:16 CEST 2008

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Alternatively... does de-bayer take four input pixels for one output
> pixel (i.e. the input is 2x the resolution of the output), or is there
> interpolation going on as well?

D'oh. 12.3 MP * 14 bits per pixel / 8 bits per byte is approximately
20.5 MiB, or the size I'd expect for an uncompressed raw from my camera.
So clearly the answer is "the latter". That being the case...

> If the latter, we could just implement
> de-bayer as a filter, and simply dump the bayer data as raw i16 data
> (probably as gray rather than rgb, to save space). Filters would be very
> strange if you tried to use them on non-de-bayer'd data (for that
> matter, looking at the image would be pretty strange), but everything
> would "work".

...how about it? This would even have the advantage that it works *now*
(assuming convolution-like filters work, anyway! i.e. someone figured
out how to run filters against tiles when they need neighboring pixels),
and would be 100% preserving.

Just as soon as we have a white balance filter ;-).

(Hmm... this makes me want to modify DNG format to store tonemapping...
my lossless-compressed raw's are the *same size* as my high-quality
JPEG's from rawstudio. There is quite clearly an opportunity to save
space here, while simultaneously preserving the original data :-).
Although... I guess the goal is for krita's format to be able to achieve
that, eh?)

--
Matthew
Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT. You feel sleepy. Notice how