Wanted: channel remapping with implicit colorspace conversion

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 18 01:08:09 CEST 2008

Cyrille Berger wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 September 2008, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Ok, you made me try it. Seems to have worked this time; but I'd (not
>> surprisingly ;-) ) prefer to be able to fiddle with the white balance
>> after, rather than having to pick something at import. (I guess we do
>> want to be able to read in the camera white balance, but could the
>> import dump the de-bayered data without other processing onto one layer
>> and create filter layers for the rest?)
>
> The import does that, since it's stored in the metadata.

Right, that's what I was getting at. But it would be awesome if the
import would create filter layers for this stuff so it can be tweaked
afterward.

So, taking into account your thoughts on bayer, I think what would be
ideal (including further-future work) is for import to create a stack
like this:

Curves filter (no CS change)
Hue/Saturation filter (no CS change)
White Balance filter (no CS change)
Curves filter (no CS change)
De-bayer filter (to i/fp 16/32 CS)
Totally unprocessed RAW data. (bayer CS)

...and filters just "wouldn't work" on bayer CS (maybe some would but I
don't think we need to go out of our way to make *any* work).

Alternatively... does de-bayer take four input pixels for one output
pixel (i.e. the input is 2x the resolution of the output), or is there
interpolation going on as well? If the latter, we could just implement
de-bayer as a filter, and simply dump the bayer data as raw i16 data
(probably as gray rather than rgb, to save space). Filters would be very
strange if you tried to use them on non-de-bayer'd data (for that
matter, looking at the image would be pretty strange), but everything
would "work".

> But we don't have a white balance filter.

We don't? ;-)
Actually, white balance (a.k.a. tint/warmth) is a filter IMHO we really
/ought/ to have... I guess it's getting too late to add this in 2.0?

(Although, does krita do the w.b. or does [libk]dcraw handle it? If the
latter, doesn't that mean the code is already available, and just needs
to be wrapped in a filter?)

>>> Meanwhile, I should probably still ask: would you find it useful to have
>>> additional test .nef's with different encodings? (Or is that from
>>> dcraw?) Even if there is no krita bug, I imagine that supplementing the
>>> collection of test formats wouldn't hurt.
>> This of course is still open.
>
> Well I guess it doesn't hurts. But due to the size it won't be possible to
> have them in the official test suite ;)

Aww, they're "only" 12-15 M ;-). (Actually, since I'd likely use a white
wall for a test shot, possibly smaller.)

Is the uncompressed one just one you have, then? And where/how should I
send them?

--
Matthew
Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT. You feel sleepy. Notice how