Yet another brush interface proposal

Valerie valerie_vk at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 23 03:38:54 CET 2008

> However, though I like the concept, I don't think that your
> mock (and thus concrete ui) conways this idea in good and
> intuitive enough way. Please try to think of other concrete
> ui's to do the same concept. Some of the things I dislike are
> the single button to switch drawer, and I'm not sure "drawer"
> is such a great name. Maybe "folder" is more known.

Hmm, I'll try to think of something else. The were two reasons
I chose drawers though:
- you put brushes and paint tubes into a drawer, not into a
folder. :P It makes more sense for an artist. You're basically
opening a drawer and putting the whole content onto your table.
Don't any of you do that to organize your pens and pencils?
- also, upon seeing a folder icon, people usually expect to
access a single file, not open a whole group of objects at a time.

In the end, you say the mock-up isn't intuitive enough, but
someone who's actually testing the feature hands-On (not just
look at the mock-up, especially since it is incomplete) wouldn't
take more than 10 seconds to figure out what it's about (as I said,
two clicks, done).

Still, if you want me to switch to a folder icon, I can always
try that. Does anybody else have other thoughts on this though?

As for the single button, it's simple: I have failed to think of
another way that shows the feature in an intuitive way. If you
hide the function into a right-click menu, most people would
simply never find it. I had missed out on many of Krita's
interface features the first time precisely because I didn't know
where to look.

If you have a better idea though, I'm open to suggestions.

A drawer icon though would be small enough and get people curious
enough to click it that first time. And the resulting gain in
resource management is more than enough to compensate for the
space taken.