Yet another brush interface proposal

C. Boemann cbr at boemann.dk
Sat Mar 22 18:26:52 CET 2008

First of: Great work (even if some of us might disagree with some of the
proposals from time to time). You clearly put a lot of thinking into this,
and this is very good. I can't thank you enough :)

> So lo and behold! My brush options icons proposals! (in very,
> very rough concept format)
>
> http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6577/brushiconslb3.png

> And now for resulting toolbar examples!
>
> http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/383/brushtoobar1fw0.png
> http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1992/brushtoolbar2ou5.png

I think I like it. My first impression is positive and i seem to grasp the
concepts easily and it seems like itwill be nice to work with.

> As for organizing, that shouldn't be too much of a problem if
> the following idea works, my "drawers" proposal:
>
> http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6924/drawersconceptzw3.png
>
> Intuitive enough? Just click the drawer icon and you can access
> any other drawers you need to open. It is otherwise managed
> like you would bookmarks, with tree systems and moving entries
> around. This replaces my previous (rather cumbersome) proposal
> for workspace management.
This I like less. Maybe simply because i don't understand what it is about.
But that usually is an indication of that someting isn't working. :/

>> Not sure we'd want to do that though. Some things are nice to
>> always be available. I for one always maximize the height of
>> the layerbox so I can see as many layers as possible.
>
> I meant to have both! Inkscape has both, via a drop-down at the
> bottom. It's nice to have the option.
Ah yes, i think i understand

> And in reply to Boudewijn Rempt: nice to see you're keeping up
> with so much! That said, I quite agree that programs should follow
> their own visions. But nothing prevents a program from borrowing
> a nice tool or code from another. It's the same-ish concept as
> sharing libraries! :D No need to re-invent the wheel, and no need
> to not use wheels just because another car also has it. Gimp is
> still at its heart a photo-editing program, so its interface will
> always be geared towards that.

Not sure what this is about, but we can't reuse any gimp code (technically
imcompatible, you might have more luck attaching a gearshift to a horse
;-) ), so while we might copy some ideas it'still a lot of work.

best regards
Casper Boemann