Paint options recently submitted for Gimp

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Mar 21 09:47:29 CET 2008

On Friday 21 March 2008, Valerie wrote:
> Seen this yet? Will Krita 2.0 have the blend feature too? :D
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-developer%40lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/msg1524
>6.html

I have looked at that patch, but I'm not convinced it offers much beyond what
Krita already makes possible (though not in exactly the same way).

> (on an unrelated note, how many of you actually go look around in
> other mailing lists for ideas? Someone's got to do it.

I'm subscribed to the gegl, cinepaint, gimp, gimp-user kde-imaging and create
mailing lists. I used to be subscribed to the inkscape mailing list, but
couldn't keep up. I have a current source checkout of digikam, gimp, gegl,
babl, cinepaint, mypaint, gogh, inkscape, freestyle, ktoon, pencil-planner,
synfig and others. I fire up blender every now and then, despair and close it
again. And I've got lots of relevant planets and blogs in my akregator :-).

> I mean, a
> whole point of open source is that you can re-use concepts and code
> from other open source programs)

It's often really difficult to share code. We share some filter code with Gimp
and Digikam, and we discuss implementation strategies with gegl's Oyvind
Kolas (pippin) regularly. And we meet once a year at the Libre Graphics
Meeting :-).

At the same time, I think it's a Good Thing when projects follow their own
vision and focus on something special. We don't want Krita to be the Kimp for
KDE, nor Gimp the Grita for Gnome :-). I'd prefer it if both applications
diverge enough that users want to have them both installed.