Summer of Code

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Thu Mar 20 14:32:19 CET 2008

On Thursday 20 March 2008, Valerie wrote:
> Main:
>
> http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2696/brushinterfacemainhw0.png
>
> At the center of the interface is the obligation to first chose the
> "brush type", ie the brush algorithm from the programmer point of
> view (airbrush, generic, Chinese ink, watercolor etc).
>
> Most options change depending on that first algorithm chosen,
> so I'm tempted say that it should be Fixed, and you chose which
> algorithm to work with upon creating a new brush.
>
> Then you chose the shape algorithm, which can be your typical bitmap,
> but also predefined algorithms suited to that type of brush (broom
> and such for Chinese ink for example).
>
> I'm kind of pro placing the main shape and brush type parameters
> into the same panel, since they are what you need to work with
> at a glance. They can all be collapsed to save space. In particular,
> shapes parameters (X radius, Y radius, angle and the lot, or bristle
> properties for specific algorithms) should be modifiable for the most
> part from the visual editor/preview anyway. Design to be discussed.

Yes but the type of shape is dependend of the type of algorithm. That's the
problem. Also, some of the parameter in "main" can also be dynamic, and I had
rather see the dynamic control of those options to appear at the same place
as the selection of the value.

> Dynamic effects:
>
> http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/2671/brushinterfaceeffectsdd5.png
>
> The above example is for color effects. The commands only appear
> when you click the box, a la Gimp. This avoids clutter.
>
> The Dynamic Effects options change depending on the type of brush
> chosen. Watercolor and Chinese ink for example will have "edge
> effects" and such instead of normal size fades.

Yes Dynamic effects are depending on the type of painting algorithm used. So
would the category appearing on the left side of the dialog.

> Toolbar:
>
> (...)
>
> Shortcuts:
>
> (...)

Shortcuts and toolbar are best managed by Settings > Shortcuts and Settings >
toolbar, this is needed to follow KDE's UI guide lines.

> Hmm, I may have forgotten a few things... There are multiple ideas
> stuffed into each screenshot. Of course, the final result will
> depend on the rest of you.
>
> Even if some of these ideas get accepted though, I predict hell to
> code them. XD It'd be nice to have though.
Most of them are allreayd available, for instance the dynamic options are
avaible in the dynamic paint op. But what would be hell is to refactor all
this to appear in similar dialog.

--
Cyrille Berger