Summer of Code

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Mar 19 13:42:28 CET 2008

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Lukast dev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2008/3/18, Valerie <valerie_vk at yahoo.com>:
> >
> > Speaking of sketching, any plans on *ahem* "borrowing" the
> > calligraphy code from Inkscape? That happens to be some seriously
> > nice code, especially with the dynamic options and the smoothing
> > options (via "weight", that actually works darn well to produce
> > smooth lines)
>
> actually if i get Google Summer Of Code, i will work on this. I wil
> implement sumi-e brushes (Chinase calligraphy brush) as my project.
> I work on proposal with boud. More details will follow next week :)

There is actually a lot of difference between the inkscape calligraphy
tool and a sumi-e paintop: the inkscape tool is more like western calligraphy
with a broad nib pen, sumi-e uses brushes. The inkscape tool also produces
vectors. And, in 2.0, we've got smoothing code similar to inkscape's for
the freehand too, too -- that works for all paintops.

Boudewijn