brushes and brush engines

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Mar 18 22:53:32 CET 2008

On Tuesday 18 March 2008, Bart Coppens wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 March 2008 14:03, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > * Remove the current brush button from the toolbar
> > * Replace it with a toolbar showing five active "presets" -- a preset is
> > a KisBrushopSettings instance.
>
> This is the 'tool' toolbar, not the Qt 'toolbar' that has the dropdown box,
> right?

Er... It would replace the brush selection button, so that's where it would
go, next to the pattern, gradient and color buttons.

> > * Instead of an active paintop, use an active preset. Add a secondary
> >  and tertiary active preset that can be selected using ctrl+freehand and
>
> So how would this interact with the extra possibility of attaching presets
> to the tablet pointers?

the secondary and tertiary presets would, when the keyboard modifier is
pressed, temporarily replace the current primary paintop associated with the
tablet pointing device, so:

* For every pointing device, one associated paintop.
* Unless the user has selected a different one, the default paintop for the
stylus is brush
* Unless the user has selected a different one, the default paintop for the
eraser is eraser
* if the user presses ctrl while painting, the fixed, secondary paintop is
used (no matter what the pointing device)
* if the user presses shift while painting, the fixed, tertiary paintop is
used (no matter what the pointing device)

> > It looks like the "hang" when using darken and the tablet is caused by
> > the darken color transform somehow being really, really slow
>
> I can't test this right now, but I cannot remember this being slow when I
> wrote it, back in the days for 1.6.x. Do you check if that old version was
> slow as well, or is this somehow a performance regression?

It's definitely a regression. In 1.6 there was no noticeable speed penalty for
enabling it.