brushes and brush engines

Bart Coppens kde at bartcoppens.be
Tue Mar 18 22:38:46 CET 2008

On Tuesday 18 March 2008 14:03, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> * Remove the current brush button from the toolbar
> * Replace it with a toolbar showing five active "presets" -- a preset is a
>  KisBrushopSettings instance.
This is the 'tool' toolbar, not the Qt 'toolbar' that has the dropdown box,
right?

> * Instead of an active paintop, use an active preset. Add a secondary
>  and tertiary active preset that can be selected using ctrl+freehand and
So how would this interact with the extra possibility of attaching presets to
the tablet pointers?

> * our code becomes less confusing: I'm getting tired of having to explain
>   the different between KisBrush and KisPaintop.
Surprisingly I never had a problem with that ;-)

> * We'll look more like Photoshop than like Corel Painter after this
> change.
Meh.

> It looks like the "hang" when using darken and the tablet is caused by
> the darken color transform somehow being really, really slow
I can't test this right now, but I cannot remember this being slow when I
wrote it, back in the days for 1.6.x. Do you check if that old version was
slow as well, or is this somehow a performance regression?

Bart