All over again - Painterly Paint Operator (or Operation :) ?) and Mixer

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Tue Mar 11 19:05:48 CET 2008

On Tuesday 11 March 2008, Emanuele Tamponi wrote:
> 2) ... the Painterly Paintop needs some love, and the Mixer is not very
> useful until we have at least one working painterly paintop. My current
> idea is that the paintop gets the actual brush shape from a KisBrush or
> something like it and it just "puts" on it the current color and do the
> mixing with the canvas substrate. This way we get a great advantage: we
> separe the code that actually mixes colors from the code that generates the
> brush shape: so that it can be a "real" shape generated by a 3D brush
> representation, or a "digital" shape like the one already present in krita.
> Moreover, this way the brush shape can be used with non-painterly paintops.
That parts need a little bit thinking. How do you plan on using the "shape",
basically, what do you need in the API of KisBrush for your work ? Currently,
KisBrush works by taking as argument the color (either a KoColor or a
KisPaintDevice), some transformation (rotation + scale), then change the
alpha channel of the KisPaintDevice and provide a dab that is then stamped on
the canvas. I am not sure if it is a good solution for you ? (of course, the
API can offer others solutions ;) )

--
Cyrille Berger