Help running Krita's SVN sources

Pajarico pajarico at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 14:24:19 CET 2008

Hi, I'm trying to start Krita from SVN. I had installed kdelibs4 (and
its dependencies) using the Gentoo installation manager, and this was
a piece of cake because it took into consideration all needed packages
and both 3.x and 4 can coexist without problem. I also installed glew,
qimageblitz, ilmbase, kdepimlibs and exiv2, because 'cmake .' was
telling me some packages (some were optional) were missing.

So I have my SVN checkout in koffice/ folder and run 'cmake -i',
configure everything. First, I just activated krita and some other
components, leaving out kplato, kword, etc. I don't know if this is a
good idea or not because Krita might depend on them; a guide about
what should compiled and what not could be very interesting... Anyway,
the problem is the same no matter if I compile everything or just
Krita and some other services, I tested both scenarios.

Well, back to the point, I run cmake -i, configure everything, run
make, and make install. Everything is fine but when I run 'krita' from
the command line all I get is some HD activity and this message, no
window pops up:

findServiceByDesktopPath: Office/krita.desktop not found
krita(16967)/koffice (lib komain) KoDocumentEntry::createDoc: ""

And a similar message is displayed for any other koffice component:

$ kword
kword(16984)/koffice (lib komain): "kword" part.desktop not found.

kword(16984)/koffice (lib komain): Run 'kde4-config --path services'
to see which directories were searched, assuming kde startup had the
same environment as your current shell.

kword(16984)/koffice (lib komain): Check your installation (did you
install KOffice in a different prefix than KDE, without adding the
prefix to /etc/kderc ?)

$ kpresenter
findServiceByDesktopPath: kpresenterpart.desktop not found
kpresenter(16987)/koffice (lib komain): "kpresenter" part.desktop not found.

kpresenter(16987)/koffice (lib komain): Run 'kde4-config --path
services' to see which directories were searched, assuming kde startup
had the same environment as your current shell.

kpresenter(16987)/koffice (lib komain): Check your installation (did
you install KOffice in a different prefix than KDE, without adding the
prefix to /etc/kderc ?)

Etcetera.

Please, help me getting this to run. I'm not happy with the gimp and
the Krita qt3 version is a bit limited. I have been hearing praises
about the development of Krita and I'm already running Inkscape,
Scribus and fontmatrix from SVN sources (I find it to be not only
recommendable, but indispensable). I'm not programmer but the effort
put on running from SVN sources is worth it.

I have qt-4.3.3 and kdelibs-4.0.0-r1. kernel is 2.6.24 (in case it matters).

Regards and thanks in advance.