Status on generator layers? (boud?)

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Apr 9 08:05:19 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 09 April 2008, Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> Right... the aforementioned gradient map. Actually, I was thinking such
> filter should probably let you pick what channel to use, with one (or
> more? but that might be overkill) options to combine channels.

That's all quite possible to do -- the channelFlags property determines which
channels are used, and every filter is free to do whatever it needs to
combine, split, twist and mangle channels. Of course, it's possible that
there's still a little work to do for me there to fix bugs, but that'll
become apparent when you start coding your stuff.

> Also, let me know if "some solutions in the workings" need help, as it's
> something I'd be interested in contributing to. (Not least because I
> have a valuable, corrupt :-( PSD that PS won't open at all and nothing
> else I've found yet - except *possibly* expensive commercial solutions -
> can open it without significant loss of information. Much of the loss is
> due to use of static-color layers, which is why I feel rather strongly
> about being able to handle those properly.)

Scribus has psd import code that seems to be pretty good and there's a Russian
(iirc) attempt at creating a GPL psd library based on the Adobe information
that you can only get if you promise not to use it for open source work.