Status on generator layers? (boud?)

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 8 03:46:14 CEST 2008

Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> Done! Generator layers work now. I need to do some more work to make it
> possible to use generators in e.g. the flood-fill tool or the shape drawing
> tools, and as a paintop, but apart from that, everything is done. And there
> may still be bugs, of course. And the dialog is still a bit primitive and
> doesn't have a preview area yet.

Eheh, not sure I want to worry about previews yet ;-), and the
solid-color generator surely doesn't need one.

I'm going to let /you/ worry about painting with generators; that sounds
quite a bit more complicated, and goes well beyond my original desire
anyway, which was basically just to implement no-rgb-input filters as
layers like we have filter layers (i.e. you can go back and fiddle with
the parameters).

My original use-case is that I have some arts with e.g. plasma or flare
layers, that it would be nice to be able to save as the generator that
made the layer rather than just the output thereof. (Especially true for
some Apophysis art I've done that is purely procedural; I use a number
of different would-be generators - including plasma and noise, and for
some, filters - but not a single hand-painted pixel.)

> But nothing is stopping you now from implementing your generator plugins, so
> amaze me :-)

I'll try (when I find time to get to it, amongst the several other
things on my TO-DO list). Btw, is it sufficiently obvious how to create
a generator layer with a different color space (i.e. gray-16)? (Does
Krita understand gray-32?)

> Btw, the example generator plugin simply fills the area with a solid color,
> like you wanted.

Thanks! Now... if we could just import those from .PSD's... ;-).

Speaking of bugs... when I tried to change the color after adding a
layer, it made it black, and doesn't seem to let me make it not-black.

--
Matthew
First time I've gotten a programming job that required a drug test. I